Official USAF Biography
MAJOR GENERAL MICHAEL A. HAMEL
Maj. Gen. Michael A. Hamel is Commander, 14th Air Force, Air Force Space Command, and Commander, Space Air Forces, U.S. Strategic Command, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. The 14th Air Force, the historic "Flying Tigers," encompasses all U.S. Air Force space forces, including missile warning, space control, satellite control, space-based surveillance, navigation and communications, and spacelift and range capabilities.
General Hamel was commissioned a second lieutenant through the U.S. Air Force Academy in June 1972. His career includes assignments in a variety of space acquisition, operations, policy and command positions, involving space and ground system development, intelligence, launch and orbit operations. The general has served as a staff officer at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, and as Chief of Air Force Space Command Advanced Planning.
General Hamel served as the Vice President's military adviser on arms control, and defense and space policy. As Vice Commander of the Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif., and Director of Requirements for Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., he managed Air Force space requirements and acquisition programs. Prior to assuming his current position, General Hamel led space operations and integration activities at Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
1972 Bachelor of science degree in aeronautical engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1974 Master of business administration degree, California State University, Dominguez Hills
1975 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1980 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1991 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1972 - July 1975, staff development planner, Space and Missile Systems Organization, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
2. August 1975 - July 1977, missile analyst, Foreign Technology Division, Lowry AFB, Colo.
3. August 1977 - July 1979, Mission Director, Aerospace Data Facility, Buckley Air National Guard Base, Colo.
4. August 1979 - July 1980, Air Staff training officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force Research and Development, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1980 - July 1986, project manager and manned spaceflight engineer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force for Special Projects, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
6. August 1986 - July 1990, program element monitor and executive officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. August 1990 - June 1991, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
8. August 1991 - July 1994, Chief, Plans Division, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. August 1994 - July 1995, Commander, 750th Space Group, Onizuka Air Station, Calif.
10. August 1995 - July 1996, Vice Commander, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. July 1996 - August 1998, Military Adviser to the Vice President, the White House, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1998 - November 1999, Vice Commander, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
13. November 1999 - November 2000, Director of Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. November 2000 – May 2002, Director of Space Operations and Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, and Director, National Security Space Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. May 2002 – September 2002, Commander, 14th Air Force, Air Force Space Command, and Component Commander, Space Air Forces, U.S. Space Command, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
16. October 2002 – present, Commander, 14th Air Force, Air Force Space Command, and Commander, Space Air Forces, U.S. Strategic Command, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant Jun 7, 1972
First Lieutenant Jun 7, 1974
Captain Jun 7, 1976
Major Feb 1, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 1988
Colonel Jun 1, 1994
Brigadier General Sep 1, 1999
Major General Jul 1, 2002
(Current as of March 2003)
Birth Place: Minneapolis, Minnesota.