Pustovyi, Dr Yaroslav Ihorovych 'Yarko'
(1970-) Ukrainian engineer payload specialist astronaut, 1996-2005. Ukraine Air Force.
Grew up in Kyiv, Ukraine. Educated Mozhayskiy; Kharkiv.
NASA Official Biography
- NAME: Yaroslav I. Pustovyi (Ph.D.)
- NSAU Astronaut
- PERSONAL DATA:
- Born December 29, 1970 in Kostroma, Russia, but considers Kyiv, Ukraine, to be his hometown. Single. Enjoys computers, mathematics, reading, learning new languages, flying, soccer, badminton, basketball, listening to classical and folk music, and singing. His parents, Mr. Ihor V. Pustovyi and Mrs. Oxana Y. Pustovyi (Boychuk), and his brother, Volodymyr I. Pustovyi, reside in Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Graduated from high school in 1988. Received a master of science degree in radio electronics engineering (with honors) from Mozhayskiy Space Engineering Military Academy (Saint-Petersburg, Russia) in 1993. Doctorate in Physics and Mathematics (Radio Physics) from Kharkiv State University, Kharkiv, Ukraine, 1996.
- Ukrainian Cossack Society.
- Published 7 articles in the areas of space radio engineering, transient electrodynamics, antennas theory and technology.
- Yaroslav Pustovyi studied space avionics and ground control radio equipment in Mozhayskiy Space Engineering Military Academy from 1988 to 1993. After graduation, he entered postgraduate courses in the Mozhayskiy Academy and studied there until November 1994. Since January 1995, Yaroslav Pustovyi worked in the Institute of Magnetism of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine as a scientific researcher. He investigated non-stationary electrodynamics and defended his thesis on the topic "Radiation of Ultra-Wide-Band Signals by Aperture Antennas" in June 1996.
Fluent in Ukrainian, English, and Russian.
- NASA EXPERIENCE:
- Dr. Pustovyi is one of the first NSAU Astronaut group selected in 1996 by the National Space Agency of Ukraine. In November 1996, NSAU and NASA assigned him to be one of two payload specialists for the Collaborative Ukrainian Experiment (CUE) to be flown on STS-87 aboard Space Shuttle Columbia. He currently participates in payload specialist training at the Johnson Space Center and will serve as the backup payload specialist for STS-87, scheduled for launch in November 1997.
Birth Place: Kostroma.
More... - Chronology...
Associated Manufacturers and Agencies
NASA Astronaut Biographies, Johnson Space Center, NASA, 1995-present. Web Address when accessed: here.
Home - Browse - Contact
© / Conditions for Use