Bruce T. Lundin was appointed Chairman of the study group (Lundin Committee). The following guidelines were suggested :
- All possible approaches for accomplishing the manned lunar landing mission in the 1967-1970 period should be considered.
- Primary emphasis should be placed on the launch vehicle portion of the system: vehicle size and type, the use of rendezvous, etc.
- Nuclear-powered launch vehicles should not be considered for use in the early manned lunar landing missions.
- Advantages, disadvantages, and problems associated with each technique should be indicated and, based on these, a relative rating of the various methods. should be established.
- The time phasing and a rough order of magnitude cost should be indicated for each method considered.
- The study should be completed at about the same time as the one under way by the Ad Hoc Task Group on Manned Lunar Landing Study.
The Lundin Committee report was submitted June 10.