German expert in rockets during World War II. On 17 May 1946 a location in the forest on the plateau of Vernon was chosen as the site for the Laboratory for Ballistic and Aerodynamic Research (LRBA). Here German specialists would be brought to assist France in development of a ballistic missile. Herbert Weiss had worked at Cuxhaven, and returned to Emmendingen thereafter. He talked to other German engineers about French rocket plans, including Jauernick and Habermann. It was agreed to send Doctor Graf to Paris in May 1946 to negotiate contracts between the scientists and the French government. By 15 May 1946 35 Peenemuende veterans at Cuxhaven had signed contracts with the French. Until the facility at Vernon could be completed, the French organized the German engineers in two groups. The Emmendingen Research Office was organized with Jauernick as Head of the Engine Group, and Otto Mueller in charge of the Guidance Group. Another 12 engineers were organized at Puteaux outside Paris. As of January 1947, Americans knew Jauernick's address only as c/o Dipl. Ing. Pilz Hegenach b/Waiblingen Bahnnofstr. Between March and May 1947 all of these engineers, by then around 90 in number, were moved to the new LRBA facilities at Vernon. The group had already been completing preliminary design work on a 40 metric ton thrust hypergolic engine for the Super V-2. Jauernick worked in France at LRBA as head of the Liquid Propulsion Division (and supervisor of Pilz' engine department) from 1947-1954. Thereafter returned to Frankfurt, Germany.