Encyclopedia Astronautica
Wurtsmith AFB


The base was used by the Army Air Corps under tha names of Loud-Reames Aviation Field (1923-1942) and Oscoda Army Air Field (1942-1951). It was received its current name in 1951 when a he first of a succession of Air Defence Command squadrons were based there. Following runway and hangar improvements, B-52 bomber wings also occupied the base from 1961. In 1973 the Air Force base was closed and the facility began a new life as the public Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport.

Longitude: -83.3803 deg.
Latitude: 44.4525 deg.

More... - Chronology...


Associated Countries
See also
Home - Browse - Contact
© / Conditions for Use